Aging is inevitable. We will all age, however we do have some control over the rate at which we age. It could be fast or slow. Anti aging tests and labs can give us an indication regarding what parts of our bodies are aging and how we compare to others our age or those who are younger. Anti aging tests and labs can be useful for targeting what is aging us so we can take preventive measures to slow or even reverse the process.
Telomere length is one of the anti aging tests and labs that can tell us how we are aging. Telomeres are the tips at the end of the strands of DNA. They get shorter as we age and when they are too short, cells can no longer divide and tissue can no longer be repaired or regenerated.
- Get a telomere test to determine how old you are biologically.
- If your telomeres are short, there are ways to keep them from getting shorter and even lengthen them.
Oxidation is rust and just as rust will deteriorate metal, it does the same to our cells. Wrinkles are a sign of oxidation and if you are wrinkling on the outside, you are also shriveling up on the inside. There are several anti aging tests and labs that can indicate your levels of oxidation. A well researched test is for 8-hydroxy deoxyguanosine (8-OHdG) which is a marker for oxidative stress that accelerates aging and damages DNA. Even people who think they have a healthy lifestyle can have oxidative stress, which underlies many chronic illnesses. Other anti aging tests and labs that can indicate oxidation are the Omega 3 Index and Hemoglobin A1C (HbA1C).
- Measure 8 OHdG, HbA1C, Omega 3 Index
- Eat plenty of colorful fruits and vegetables
- Take antioxidant supplements such as CoQ10, and alpha lipoic acid
- Supplement with a multivitamin mineral complex with Vitamin A in the form of mixed carotenoids, Vitamin E in the form of mixed tocopherols
Lower processed foods, simple carbohydrates and sugars in your diet
Eat fish and take a high quality fish oil supplement that is in the natural triglyceride form. Calculate the amount of EPA and DHA to determine the amount of active ingredient in your fish oil.
Acid Alkaline Balance and Mineral Status
A first morning test of the pH of your urine is one of the quick and easy anti aging tests and labs that can be done at home. It can give you a lot of information about how well your body is functioning. If your body is too acidic with a pH of less than 6.5 it suggests mineral deficiencies. Your body will pull out minerals from your bone, especially calcium to adjust the blood pH that has to be kept in a tight range for you to sustain life. A low pH can indicate mineral deficiencies. If you are too alkaline with a pH above 7.5 you will break down protein and muscle and use amino acids as a source of energy.
- Get urine pH test strips. When you first get up in the morning collect a sample and dip the strip into your urine. The optimal pH is 6.5 to 7.5
- If too acidic pH <6.5, take a magnesium and multi mineral supplement and eat non dairy foods rich in calcium. Cut down on meat and dairy products, which are acidic.
- Review your medications with your doctor since some can make you acidic or alkaline.
- A high pH of above 7.5 may be prevalent in vegetarians, therefore eat more acidic foods not necessarily meat.
- Underlying illnesses such as kidney disorders, gastrointestinal disorders, medications, infections, vomiting or respiratory problems can also affect pH so get a check up by your doctor.
Other Anti Aging Tests and Labs
There are many other anti aging tests and labs that can be done to determine how old you are.
- DEXA scan of your bones to determine if you have osteopenia or osteoporosis
- C- reactive protein (CRP) to detect levels of inflammation which is the root cause of most degenerative disease
- Homocysteine is a measure of cardiovascular and Alzheimer’s risk as well as methylation which is a metabolic process for detoxification, controlling genetic expression and lowering the irritation homocysteine produces in your artery walls.
- Vitamin D, which plays a role in prevention and treatment of diabetes, osteoporosis, high blood pressure, multiple sclerosis and cancer.
- Physical biomarkers of aging such as hormone status, nitric oxide, waist to hip ratio, balance, reaction time, muscle strength and flexibility, heart rate variability and cognitive function are anti aging tests and lab tests that can be powerful indicators on how to target and treat what is aging you. You can prevent or reverse accelerated aging. These are all part of a comprehensive functional Executive Physical.
Knowledge is power and getting a picture of how you are aging and what is aging you is the first step in transforming your life and your health. A functional medicine and anti aging medical doctor can perform anti aging tests and labs to diagnose and treat age related disorders so you can look and feel younger and healthier.