Did you know the silly cream you put on your body, the shampoo, deodorant, makeup and the fragrance in fabric softeners, detergents, perfumes and room deodorizer and many everyday personal care and cleaning products contain harmful chemicals that disrupt your immune, hormone and nervous system?
Safety is NOT proven
Companies can formulate and market their products without having to prove they are safe! The only exceptions are products that treat or prevent health conditions such as sunscreen and anti-dandruff shampoo. Cosmetics are the least regulated, so buyer beware.
Chemicals that Harm
Chemicals such as phthalates, parabens, PFAS and metals such as lead can be hazardous to your health. Other chemicals that prevent bacterial and fungal growth such as triclosan and triclocarban can also be harmful and they are found in everyday products. Heavy metals such as mercury, lead, arsenic and cadmium can be harmful to your health, and they can be found in products you use and food that you eat every day! Small amounts add up and can be hazardous to your health.
Toxic 12 Ingredients in Cosmetics
The environmental working group regularly tests products for quality and safety and listed the 9 most toxic ingredients in cosmetics, the least regulated of all products. Of note is that the European Union and other nations have banned these ingredients!
- Formaldehyde, a known carcinogen.
- Paraformaldehyde, a type of formaldehyde.
- Methylene glycol, a type of formaldehyde.
- Quaternium 15, which releases formaldehyde.
- Mercury, which can damage the kidneys and nervous system.
- Dibutyl disrupt hormones and damage the reproductive system.
- Diethylhexyl phthalates, which disrupt hormones and damage the reproductive system.
- Isobutyl disrupt hormones and harm the reproductive system.
- Isopropyl parabens, disrupt hormones and harm the reproductive system.
- The long-chain per- polyfluoroalkyl substances known as PFAS have been linked to cancer.
- Polyfluoroalkyl substances known as PFAS, have been linked to cancer.
- M- and o-phenylenediamine, used in hair dyes, which irritate and sensitize the skin, damage DNA and can cause cancer.
Many of these products disrupt hormones, reproduction and brain development and some have even been linked to cancer. Recently many sunscreens have been recalled due to benzene in the product which is a known cancer causing agent. Many of these products have been recalled by the FDA. Consumer Labs also lists products that contain benzene but have not yet been recalled.
That Smell Can Hurt You
A big player in chemical warfare is fragrance. Unbeknownst to you, fragrance can be a mixture of thousands of chemicals and manufacturers do not have to disclose the formulas of what is in them since they are proprietary.
Choose products that are free from
- The toxic 12
Use an app called Skin Deep from the Environmental Working Group or Think Dirty to look at the safety of the products you buy. Keep your hormone system, nervous system and immune system functioning optimally by getting rid of the chemicals that interfere with optimal function. If you need help to get back in balance, apply for a free, no obligation clarity call to see if we are a good fit.