Causes and Natural Solutions for Low Testosterone. Testosterone has many roles. It is not just for libido. Testosterone helps with tissue growth and repair, muscle strength and building and is necessary for sperm production, libido, and erectile function. However, the sad fact is that testosterone will decline with age. Low T is often found more and more in younger men. Moreover, the good news is that you can slow the decline and/or safely replace what is missing.
How do you know you have low Testosterone?
Common symptoms of low testosterone are:
- Belly Fat
- Bone Loss
- Brain Fog
- Low Energy
- Low Sex Drive
- Moody & Irritable
- Erectile Dysfunction
- Decreased Muscle Mass
- Enlarged Belly & Breasts
Causes of Low Testosterone
- Obesity and belly fat
- Excess alcohol or THC use
- Stress and high cortisol
- Poor sleep
- Zinc deficiency
- Low thyroid hormone
- Traumatic brain injury
- Damage to testicles
- Chemical exposure such as phthalates
Once you find any or all the root causes, low Testosterone can be fixed naturally in many cases.
- Get an evaluation by a functional medicine doctor to have thyroid function tests, testosterone, estradiol, and dihydrotestosterone levels measured, get a 4-point cortisol in saliva.
- Look for and correct nutritional deficiencies such as zinc, selenium, Vitamin D and other micronutrients with a micronutrient test.
- Most importantly, have testicles examined to look for masses or injury.
- Have physician evaluate medication that can lower testosterone such as opioids, THC, tramadol, anabolic steroids.
- Detox to address many of the issues such as belly fat, weight gain, toxins and excess alcohol consumption. Many find that they lose weight, belly fat and cravings go away with a detoxification and elimination diet.
- Furthermore, decrease alcohol that will turn testosterone into estrogen in belly fat. Cutting back or temporarily eliminating alcohol can reset your metabolism, change your hormone balance, and may also help your sleep.
- Lower high estrogen. Too much estrogen and low testosterone makes men moody. For instance, losing weight, replacing zinc if it is deficient and decreasing alcohol can slow conversion to estrogen. Adding a chrysin cream to your supplement regimen can also slow the conversion of testosterone to estrogen. Chrysin is not well absorbed in the oral form.
- Manage stress to lower cortisol. If cortisol is high, testosterone will get lower. Above all, saying no, reframing situations, deep belly breathing, meditation, mindfulness, exercise, relaxation techniques and cognitive behavioral therapy can alleviate your reaction to stress.
- 200-300 minutes of aerobic exercise was shown to improve sexual function, testosterone levels, and weight. In addition, combining this with resistance training is a winning formula to improve weight, muscle mass, mood, and testosterone levels.
- Protect your brain with a helmet when participating in contact sports.
Causes and Natural Solutions for Low Testosterone Take Away: Sometimes low testosterone is inevitable especially if you have had long term stress or exposure to toxins, a traumatic brain injury, damage to testicles or aging rapidly. Having a consultation with a physician who is knowledgeable in testosterone replacement therapy as well as the other factors that safely metabolize testosterone and help maintain healthy levels and overall health is a must. Apply for a free no obligation consultation to see if testosterone replacement is right for you and if we are a good fit. No need to suffer the damaging effects of low testosterone.