During the holiday season, you might overindulge, under sleep and overstress. It can show on your face and skin making you look haggard and stressed. In the north, dry air, cold, harsh winds and stress can take its toll on skin, our most exposed organ. You can look and feel like the life of the party with healthy, glowing skin by following a few quick tips to take your skin from ‘oh, no’ to ‘glow’!
- Sugar can be your enemy on many levels so try cutting down. Those tempting holiday treats can cause inflammation, breakouts and dull, irritated skin. Have a little but don’t over indulge. You can decrease the temptation by drinking plenty of fluids and filling up on fiber, so you feel full and will be less likely to overindulge.
- Sleep is restorative so after a late night or party, get a restful sleep. Try warm Epsom salt baths, lavender oil, and/ or a magnesium supplement to relax, unwind and replenish magnesium levels which get depleted with alcohol and caffeine. Calming herbs such as valerian, passion flower, hops and kava can help you calm down and sleep after the hustle and bustle of parties, shopping and socializing.
- Stress can be overwhelming during the hustle and bustle of the season. Your adrenaline and cortisol rise and break down collagen in the skin, breaks down muscle, bone and increases blood pressure, blood sugar, cholesterol and fat storage. Arm yourself with adrenal adaptogens that make you more resilient and protect your cells from the onslaught of cortisol. Adrenal formulas that contain ashwaganda, skullcap, eleuthero, and rhodiola are very protective. L theanine gives calm focus and phosphatidyl serine lowers cortisol. Get good quality brands and become Supplement Savvy by signing up for access to the best brands at a discount as well as protocols on how to use them.
- Skin care products that exfoliate, hydrate, clean, moisturize and rejuvenate skin will make you look fresh, healthy and youthful. I like My Chelle products. You can try their top picks for glowing skin such as Remarkable Retinal Serum to rejuvenate, Fruit Enzyme Cleanser and Perfect C PRO Speed Peel that exfoliates with natural alpha hydroxy acids, Ultra Hyaluronic Beauty mist to hydrate, and Supreme Polypeptide Cream to reduce fine lines and wrinkles.
- Soothe your soul and release tension by taking time to relax and/or meditate. It is essential to bring oxygen to your brain, relax your muscles and take away the tension that shows up in internally with rapid pulse, high blood pressure, cravings, and more as well as, lines, frowns and wrinkles on your face. Do some deep belly breathing, go to a meditation or mindfulness class or schedule a private stress management or mindfulness session virtually, eat mindfully or use a device such as the Muse Brain Sensing Headband found on Gaiam, a healthy living company.
- Supplement with extra antioxidants such as Vitamins A, C and E which combat free radical damage on your skin as well as internally in every cell of your body. The master antioxidants Alpha Lipoic Acid and N Acetylcysteine or glutathione can be beneficial to recycle these anti-oxidants as well as detoxify many of the chemicals and impurities found in our food and environment. They are available at a discount through Supplement Savvy.
- Scrub away dead skin by washing with a boar bristle brush. You will be amazed at how silky, smooth, soft and supple your skin will be.
Keep Your Healthy Holiday Skin Shining Bright
Your holiday season can be healthy, happy and fun and using these tips you can look and feel your best. These products make great gifts that show you care. To find more products that have been researched and vetted by me, go to my Resources page to see my favorite things that you can get at discounts where available. Have a happy and healthy holiday season from the inside out.
Dr. Lorraine Maita is a recognized and award-winning holistic, functional, and anti-aging physician and author. She transforms people’s lives by getting to the root cause of illness using the best of science and nature. Her approach is personalized, precision medicine where you are treated as the unique individual you are. If you’re ready to start your journey to a healthier, happier life, schedule your visit today!