TOPICS LORRAINE MAITA, MD CAN DISCUSS:
Why bioidentical hormones are different than synthetic hormones and what you need to know before taking any of them.
How not to get rusty, crusty, fat and inflamed and stay young and vibrant.
Biggest Mistakes People Make with Supplements:
- Choosing the wrong type of fish oil
- Magnesium: the forms people are taking in most vitamins are not good. Some magnesium supplements even cause diarrhea.
- Assuming you need estrogen if you’re going through perimenopause or menopause: you may need progesterone and not estrogen.
- Vitamin D: it’s hard to OD on Vitamin D.
- Taking only the Recommended Daily Amount of supplements versus what you need for optimal health.
- Skipping the very valuable Co-Q10.
- Assuming all supplements are safe and equally beneficial.
- Taking improper dose of your supplements.
Fabulous fiber and why even healthy eaters usually need to take extra fiber.
Myth: if you eat well, you don’t need supplements. Why this is not true.
Stress and its affect on diseases.
Preserve Your Memory:
- Exercise to get blood to the brain
- Give nutrition to the brain, with good supplements
- Manage your stress. Stress and the cortisol it creates interfere with some of the memory cells in the hippocampus in the brain and can actually damage the cells. Dr. Maita has supplements she gives people to protect the hippocampus.
Sleep, stress and hormones: what you can do to get the restorative, rejuvenating sleep you need.
#1 thing you need to know about your sex drive: it’s not just about testosterone.
Depression and thyroid: the number one thing you need to know.
The proper way to eat a high-protein diet for weight loss.
BE SAFE is her recommendation for fitness:
- Balance — Balance is important as you age. Many people trip because they don’t have good balance and then they break their wrists, hips and other joints.
- Strength – Women often overlook hand grip strength, which leaves them vulnerable to fracture.
- Flexibility – Many people focus on strength and not their flexibility, which is what helps them maintain range of motion and prevent injury.
Eliminate fatigue with a multi-pronged approach, looking at:
- Nutrition and deficiencies
Skin: If you’re healthy on the inside, you’re healthy on the outside. Hormonal factors, gastrointestinal problems and inflammation are the skin’s enemies.